Sunday, September 23, 2007

To Space! And Beyond!

Finished Object Alert!!!

Pattern: Split-Neckline Cap-Sleeved Tee from Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Invito Print for body / Pima Tencel for trim
Needles: KnitPicks Options circulars, size US 8 (for body) and US 6 (for trim)

Modifications: I followed the pattern for size 34" until I separated the sleeves from the body, where I increased three stitches at each underarm. Approximately four inches below that, I decreased by one stitch at each underarm marker every fifth row three times. I finished the garment following the pattern, including the darling picot eding and the split-neckline. After the first wearing, however, I realized that this was just not practical. The split-neckline split sooooo far that my bra strap and my underarm kept showing, and that the fit of the tee was awkward and unflattering. The picot trim, while having a very "finished" look, tended to flip over, so that the inside of the trim would show and the neckline would pull and sag.

So, home I went, and ripped out all the edging. For the bottom of the body and the sleeves, I decreased the stitches by 10%, then knit a 2x2 ribbing. I stitched up the split-neckline, then knit in a little faux split-necking garter edge. Leaving the clasp in place, I knit a 2x2 ribbing around the neck, in the round, and decreased at the raglan "seams" on one round. And, yeah, I have to be a little careful when I pull the thing over my giant noggin, but the fit is so much better -- even if the sleeves do still flip out a little.