Sunday, June 10, 2007

My "Sizzle" Saga

Today, I finished by third "Sizzle," designed by Wendy at Knit and Tonic.



My first "Sizzle" was a little red number knit up in Karabella Yarns "Zodiac" on size US 7 circular needles. This was my very first garment, and I followed the pattern exactly. The fit on top turned out well, but the bottom half was too roomy and it was too short for my taste. I did, however, love the deep v-neck. What did I learn? Working with 100% cotton is the pits!




My second "Sizzle" was for my mom for her birthday. I used the recommended yarn (Silk Bijou by Olympus) and size US 7 circular needles. I followed the pattern exactly, again knitting a front and a back and then seaming the pieces together. My mom, who lives in Chicago, says it fits, but has yet to send me a picture to prove it.



My third "Sizzle" was an experiment. I've recently become obsessed with knitting garments from the top down, in the round. So I adapted the pattern to do this. The result? The v-neck isn't as deep as I would have liked it, and the placement of my bust darts are all funky. (How did this happen? I have no idea. Thankfully, I just received in the mail
"Sweater Design in Plain English" by Maggi Righetti.) The moral of the story: I continue to underestimate the extent of my bust. This third "Sizzle" was knit on size US 7 circulars in nearly 8 complete balls of Knit Picks Shine Worsted in "Snapdragon."



While this third "Sizzle" is by no means my last (I intend to keep trying until it's perfect for my body), as soon as I finished weaving in the ends, I cast on for the "Summertime Tunic" from the summer 2007 issue of Inteweave Knits. I am using Knit Picks Shine Worsted in "Bachelor Button" and (of course) size US 7 circular needles from my brand-spankin'-new
Knit Picks Options Knitting Needles Set. Oh, how I love these needles!

No comments: