Monday, July 16, 2007

What's the Rush?


New York's got this new campaign going, all about getting folks to give up the bottled water and start drinking the tap water. Now, I know they say that NY water is the cleanest and tastiest in the country, and I don't doubt it. But when I lived in Brooklyn, in a building erected in the 1920s and maintained by a... questionable... landlord, by time that delicious NY water came up the ancient copper pipes, it had a brown tint to it. Of course, I didn't turn to the bottle (of water, that is), but I did filter all my H2O through a Brita. When I was out-and-about, though, I wouldn't hesitate to stop at a bodega and grab a crisp, clean bottle of Poland Spring. What, should I have asked the bodega guys to go in the back and fill me a glass from the bathroom tap?

Good thing I live in Jersey now, where I can, it seems, waste all the plastic bottles I want. Especially while waiting for the bus and knitting up a "winter sock." This is only my third sock attempt, and this one's been on the needles for quite a while. It's 80 degrees out, who wants to fuss with wool? Even if it is superwash? This sock (and eventually, hopefully, its mate) will be going to the boyfriend's feet. I have until winter, anyway, as it is called a "winter sock," so what's the rush?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

When did they decide that NY water was the best. I thought Chicago water was the best. I'm not just saying that because I live there, I really thought that. Perhaps every city just says that their water is the best of all!

Jen said...

Totally! Chicago water IS the best! It's clean and has a crisp taste. I always tell that to the folks out here. When I go home to visit, it usually happens that the first glass of water I have, I'm all, "This water is great! Is it bottled?" And I'm told, "Nope. Straight from the tap."